Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The DaVinci Code

I finished this book a little while ago and I loved it. I've also read his other books Angels and Demons and Deception Point. I read one other of his books, but can't remember it at the moment. Although I thought Angels and Demons was a better book, The DaVinci Code was a terrific read.

SPOILER ALERT. Don't read the rest of this post if you haven't read the book yet!
The reason this book is so talked about is that so many people can't see past the fact that this book is FICTION. It's not real and it's meant to be entertainment only. The reason it resonates so deeply with so many people is because it seems to challenge people's deep seated religious beliefs by taking liberties with real facts. I have to admit I loved that Opus Dei really existed! Mona Lisa does look like a man and John the Apostle in "The Last Supper" sure does look like a woman. I had to look up all these things in Google just to see them for myself. I also looked up the Divine number of Phi. That alone I think is cool enough to write a whole novel around.

Well, as I enjoyed this book so much, I'm really excited that they plan on making a movie based on this book. Tom Hanks has been cast as the lead character Robert Langdon. As much as I love Hanks, I really pictured someone more like Harrison Ford or George Clooney as the lead. In any case with Hanks in that role, this movie'll probably win him an oscar!

1 comment:

S said...

I loved the book too!! I read it a while ago and am ready to sit down and read it again. I agree that people forget that it is a work of fiction, but it is interesting to see how much the book takes from real life. I love to play the “what if” game with others. It is amazing how upset they get!! I am a little hesitant to watch the movie. It was so wonderful in my head, reading it, that I don’t think the big screen will be able to measure up. Thanks for the review!!