Tuesday, August 30, 2005

MonkOutfit


MonkOutfit
Originally uploaded by badblueboy.
I've been in the city for 2 years now, and today was the first time in those 2 years that I've been back to the American Museum of Natural History. It was a great time. We had free coupon vouchers that gave us a free IMAX show, and admission to one of the new dinosaur exhibits.

Monday's are a surprisingly good day to go to the museum, there aren't that many people, so it's not too congested. The IMAX show was The Amazing Sea, or something like that, and it was actually pretty good. One of my pet peeves though is having crying babies attend these things. If the kid starts to cry or babble, "shhhhh" isn't going to do it. You've got to pick the brat up and take him outside. (spanking him, once he is outside). Other than that, the show was good.

After that we went to the new exhibit and it was very interesting, with a walk through, that included video presentations, a walking model of a T-Rex and other displays.

The Monk's outfit shown in the picture above is in the Asian People wing of the Museum. This exhibit has special significance to me cause I experianced this aspect of Asian and Buddhist tradition. I wore these saffron robes, and carried the alms bowl. It was nearly 10 years ago, yet the lessons I learned are still with me today. Here's a treat for you, Buddhism in a nutshell.

*Nothing is permanent (can't live forever)
*Attachment is suffering (the more you are attached to something, the more it sucks when you either lose it, see above, or never attain it).
*Everthing in moderation
*Happiness is truly attained when you've released all ties to material matters.

That's more or less it, and you didn't need to meditate in a forest for decades to glean the knowledge I've just bestowed open you. Kneel before me now!

No comments: