Friday, October 28, 2005

Strange Smells in NYC

I was driving Lek home from work last night with her friend and I notice an unusual, though not unpleasant smell wafting through the windows. I raise my nose and take a couple of sniffs. There's no doubt about it, I detect the distinct odor of maple syrup. It seems to be everywhere, all the way from the west side to the east side, and people are saying as far south as downtown Manhattan, all the way up to Harlem.. Lek's friend notices me sniffing, and tells me that she's just put on some hand lotion. What kind of hand lotion smells like maple syrup?

I wake up today, and now NY1 has an article on this very same phenomen. The entire city is smelling maple syrup, although some say it smells more like flavored coffee and others say it smells like roasted nuts (doesn't arsenic smell like toasted almonds?). Anyway, I hope it's not a terroist using some new chemical, cause that would really suck, since I've been smelling it for about 24 hours now.

See NY1 news's article HERE

No comments: